Even digital cloud-dwellers sometimes need paper
How to print From a Chromebook: Google Chromebooks are all about digital services but sometimes you just need to have a printed copy of your digital adventures.
Although printing from a Chromebook is much easier than it used to be, it can still be confusing. This guide will help you quickly print paper from your cloud-centric Chromebook.[Note] Unfortunately, the Cloud Print system which made it easier to print from any cloud-connected device was removed from the Google graveyard . Some older printers might not be able print from a Chromebook. Make sure that your printer is compatible with ChromeOS before you buy one, especially if it’s used. This page contains a list of compatible printers from Google.
How to print From a Chromebook
ADD A CURRENT WIRED PRINTER
If you have a printer capable of connecting to the Internet, you should be able add it to your Chromebook directly without any additional services.
First, ensure that the printer is turned on and connected to the same Wi Fi network as your computer. Although the procedure to connect a printer with Wi-Fi is different for each model, there will be an “internet” or “WiFi” option on the printer’s screen. This can either be an icon on its main screen or an option in the settings menu. This will guide you through the entire process.
Are you ready to print? Here are the next steps:
- Click the clock at the lower-right corner on your Chromebook’s screen. To open settings, click on gear shape icon.
- In the search box at top of the settings panel type print and then choose Add printer in the drop-down menu.
- To complete the pairing, click on the Set Up button.
- You may find an older printer in the list, but it may not automatically configure. In the pop-up box, enter the model and manufacturer. If this doesn’t work, you will need to manually add it.
ADD A OLDER WIRELESS PRESSURE PRINTER
If your printer does not appear in the list, which may occur if it is an older device, you will need to click on the Add Printer button.
- You can give the printer any name that you like.
- In the Address field, enter its IP address. The IP address is usually found in the printer’s display menu. For information about wireless configuration or network, check the settings.
- now leave the fields in the previous 2 sections as it is and just click on blue. Add button. Enter the printer manufacturer (e.g. “HP”) or model (e.g. “Office jet Pro 8600”) and click on blue button to select the appropriate option. Click the blue Add When you are done, click the button
CONNECT A PRINTER PHYSICALLY WITH YOUR CHROMEBOOK
Don’t worry if you have an older printer that’s not internet-capable. A USB cable can be used to connect your printer to a Chromebook.
- Connect the cable to your printer and then connect the other end to your Chromebook. Depending on the type of cable and ports that your Chromebook offers, you may need an adapter.
- A pop-up may appear asking you to set up the printer. Follow the instructions by clicking on the popup.
- Open Chromebook’s Settings and type “print” in the search box.
- Choose Printing.
- To finish, click on the name of your printer and then click the blue Add button.
That’s it! You can now hit Ctrl+P in any browser tab, or search for the Print command within any app. You may not see your printer’s name in the Destination box immediately. Click in the field if it doesn’t appear. If you don’t, click to see more. You should be able to see your printer there. You can then print as much as you like.